The conference schedule will be posted soon. Please check back.
Thursday Dinner Keynote Presenter - Christopher Thornberg, Beacon Economics
Christopher Thornberg founded Beacon Economics LLC in 2006. Under his leadership the firm has become one of the most respected research organizations in California serving public and private sector clients across the United States. In 2015, Dr. Thornberg also became Director of the UC Riverside School of Business Center for Economic Forecasting and Development and an Adjunct Professor at the School. An expert in economic and revenue forecasting, regional economics, economic policy, and labor and real estate markets, Dr. Thornberg has consulted for private industry, cities, counties, and public agencies. He became nationally known for forecasting the subprime mortgage market crash that began in 2007, and was one of the few economists on record to predict the global economic recession that followed. In 2015, he was named to California State Treasurer John Chiang’s Council of Economic Advisors, the body that advises the Treasurer on emerging strengths and vulnerabilities within the state’s economy. Dr. Thornberg holds a Ph.D in Business Economics from The Anderson School at UCLA, and a B.S. degree in Business Administration from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
Friday Keynote Presenter - Zac Clement
In over 40 years, I have:
- Restructured the debt of major companies, both out of court and in Chapter 11 cases.
- Led a municipality to restructure its debts in a four-month Chapter 9 case.
- Been responsible as bankruptcy counsel for (i) DIP loans, (ii) purchase or sale of assets from Chapter 11 debtors and (iii) exit financings for plans of reorganization, representing (a) debtors, (b) secured lenders and (c) new capital providers; and
- Acted as lead trial counsel concerning these kinds of issues involving billions of dollars.
Details of some major representations
- Represented Continental Airlinesin its Chapter 11 case in Delaware, successfully reorganizing this $9 billion company.
- Represented Metals USAin its Houston Chapter 11 case, in which this billion-dollar revenue company converted $400 million of debt to equity and emerged from bankruptcy in less than a year with the best balance sheet in its industry.
- Represented the Town of Mammoth Lakes, Californiain a Chapter 9 case that was successfully completed in four months.
- Represented Yukos Oil Companyin its effort to stop expropriation of its assets and reorganize through a S. Chapter 11 case, and to resist liquidation and propose a plan of reorganization in connection with a U.S. Chapter 15 case.
- Represented a successful competingbidder who purchased substantially all the assets of Stone & Webster for $700 million in an auction conducted in the Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented several major foreign banks in a successful trial and appeal through the U.S. Supreme Court of a S. involuntary bankruptcy petition against foreign citizens, who defaulted on over $300 million of debt in their country of origin, then came to live in the U.S.