MICHAEL W. ESSARY
Calsur Property Management
8304 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, Suite #207
San Diego, CA 92111
Tel: 858-560-1178, ext. 304
Summary of Qualifications
My experience in managing, building, accounting for, acting as court appointed receiver, and selling real estate and individual businesses encompasses over 35 years in various positions. I have worked with multifamily, commercial & retail, hotels, land and single family/tract homes, operating businesses, cannabis related operations, and liquidation of varied assets in receivership. The properties/cases in my portfolios were located in a wide variety of areas in the country; California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, and others. During my career I have worked for different types of employers; financial institutions, licensed contractors, property management firms, real estate sales offices, and I have also been self-employed. I have been appointed receiver in courts in the following counties: Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, Imperial, San Bernardino, San Louis Obispo, Ventura, Kern and Santa Barbara.
I am a member of the California Receiver’s Forum and am a director of the San Diego Chapter and was past Chair for the state board of directors of the Forum.
Some of the specific duties and skills included in my experience are:
- Developed and implemented property management accounting systems which included reports, daily procedures, and audit procedures.
- Performed and supervised property maintenance and construction vendors. Created operating budgets including capital for rehabilitation projects.
- Performed detailed property inspections as property manager, receiver, and institutional asset manager.
- Negotiated and executed leases, service contracts and management contracts.
- Assess market rates for leasing and established marketing guidelines including the use of advertising and concession programs.
- Sale of properties including determination of value/list price, implementation of marketing program, interface with brokers and buyers, negotiation of sales contract, underwriting of loans to facilitate, and all closing related activities.
- Ensuring that title issues are cleared or documented in order to facilitate escrow closing. Preparation of detailed business plans that include valuation and reserve analysis, operating guidelines, physical descriptions, rehab or repair recommendations, leasing guidelines including rental rates, title and legal issues, and marketing recommendations.
Taking over and analyzing operating businesses, transferring applicable licenses, managing/accounting for business employees, conducting inventory audit, locating and liquidating secured assets for satisfaction of liens.
Analyzing and taking over multiple types of cannabis related businesses/licenses. Including CUP and license issues, partnership disputes, lien collection, interface with local & State governing entities and tax collection departments.
May 1997 – Present: Owner of Calsur Property Mgmt., a full service real estate company designed to give personal service with professional focus. Serving all Southern and Central California markets and various property types including multi-family, commercial, retail and single family. Also appointed to over 250 receiverships/fiduciary assignments throughout Southern California encompassing rents & profits, equity/business takeovers, cannabis businesses and other related operations, liquidation of assets for post judgment receiverships, mediation/settlement of debt in receivership, locating and seizure of company assets for receivership, and execution of probate process for court.